Monday, May 17, 2010

Poetic Monday (in English and German)

Some poetry to ponder on this dreary, rainy day!





Hope is the Thing with Feathers - by Emily Dickinson



"Hope" is the thing with feathers

That perches in the soul

And sings the tune without the words

And never stops at all,



And sweetest in the gale is heard;

And sore must be the storm

That could abash the little bird

That kept so many warm.



I've heard it in the chillest land

And on the strangest sea,

Yet never, in extremity,

It asked a crumb of me.









When the world says, "Give up,"
Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."


~Author Unknown






Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark. ~George Iles














I Had Been Hungry All The Years - by Emily Dickinson.




I had been hungry all the years-
My noon had come, to dine-
I, trembling, drew the table near
And touched the curious wine.


'T was this on tables I had seen
When turning, hungry, lone,
I looked in windows, for the wealth
I could not hope to own.


I did not know the ample bread,
'T was so unlike the crumb
The birds and I had often shared
In Nature's dining-room.


The plenty hurt me, 't was so new,--
Myself felt ill and odd,
As berry of a mountain bush
Transplanted to the road.


Nor was I hungry; so I found
That hunger was a way
Of persons outside windows,
The entering takes away.


For my German speaking friends a couple short, amusing Gedichte:





Die Feder - by Joachim Ringelnatz (1883-1934)



Ein Federchen flog durch das Land;

Ein Nilpferd schlummerte im Sand.

Die Feder sprach: „Ich will es wecken!“

Sie liebte, andere zu necken.

Aufs Nilpferd setzte sich die Feder

Und streichelte sein dickes Leder.

Das Nilpferd sperrte auf den Rachen

Und musste ungeheuer lachen.









Schlechtes Wetter - by Victor Blüthgen (1844-1920)


Liese, es regnet Seile;
Ich sterbe vor Langerweile.
Ich glaube, die Blasen schwimmen dort -
Jetzt regnet's vier Wochen immer so fort.
Ich sollte der liebe Gott mal sein.
Da gäb' es Regen bloß bei Nacht,
Und immer wär' es Sonnenschein,
Wenn ich im Bett wär' aufgewacht.








Dont forget to enter my Giveaway

0 comments:

Post a Comment