Thursday, May 13, 2010

Moth Identification

For those of you interested in knowing what that moth was that I photographed the other day, I got an answer from my fellow Etsian (Bugman58) who has this really cool shop:



Elusive Butterflies of Love Art/Bugs In My House Art



You should take the time to read his profile. He's such an interesting person. This is what he wrote about "my" moth (pictured below):







"...from the picture, shape of the wings and your description it is for certain a Hawk Moth in the family Sphingidae...also called Sphinx Moths. Very common in your area. Species could be (hard to exact Id from that photo alone) Sphecodina abbotti....Common name-(Abbot's Sphinx)





Hope that helps? Take care..Sincerely, Mike..bugman"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Isn't that interesting? I looked up some pictures of Hawk Moths and discovered there are many different kinds. For instance, I found these pictures of a couple of moths that look similar to the one I saw. The first two photos are of a Abbot's Spinx:

 

These two where listed under Poplar Hawk Moth:


Look at that face! Call me nuts, but I can totally see a teeny, tiny faery riding that sucker - gitty up buckarooooo.....ha, ha, ha!







Sweet Dreams!





DONT FORGET TO ENTER MY GIVEAWAY!





**************

0 comments:

Post a Comment