Thursday, May 20, 2010

Breakfast at the Park and a quick trip to Bank's Lake







This morning I had some packages to mail. Since I was early, because our post office doesn't open till 9 am, I decided to take Gizzy to "his" favorite (our only) drive through in town for breakfast. I stopped at Roquemore Park so we could enjoy eating outside on a park bench.


(I smell bacon!)
  
(I don't mind if I do - you can have the coffee mommy!)






Since I've not been at Bank's Lake for a while, I decided to pop over to see if my friend Sandy was at the Outpost this morning - and she was!


Gizzy and I walked out onto the pier to investigate the croaking sound that Sandy assured me was a bullfrog and not an alligator.


The water lilies were blooming profusely, perfuming the air with their lovely scent.



But, after all is said and done, that's what Gizzy thinks of being on the pier:


(I think he knows that dog is alligator's favorite food.)




Right before we went back in the car to drive to the post office, I saw one of my friends, the lovely dragonfly who helps me by eating my arch enemies: the mosquitoes!


**************************


Addendum: My friend Sandy commented on this post and I wanted to add it in here, because she's a Wildlife Expert and very knowledgeable about alligoators as she runs the Outpost and deals with Federal wildlife agents frequently. Since not everyone subscribes to the comments feed, this is valuable information for those of you afraid of alligators:


The alligators don't bother people as a rule....we have never had a problem at Banks Lake, Lake Alapaha or the river with them. People swim in Lake Alapaha and the river daily and there are plenty of gators in both. They have a bad rep but they are totally different then the crocs, but Gizzy has the right idea Doris. They do love doggy snacks as you know.




Baby alligators do "chirp" and can sound like a frog but the pitch is different, and rarely do you hear the others, except during mating season, then they bellow. When angry they usually hiss.





Don't forget to enter my Giveaway!

0 comments:

Post a Comment